Tuesday, June 1, 2010

There is no frigate like a book ...

There is no Frigate like a Book
To take us Lands away,
Nor any Coursers like a Page
Of prancing Poetry –
This Traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of Toll –
How frugal is the Chariot
That bears a Human soul.
-Emily Dickinson

It borders on half a year since I last took the time to unload my footlocker of a brain outside of the classroom. In that time I have traveled through space and time around the world and back again. And while there remains no rest for the wicked or in my case late blooming student, I reflect on my experiences in returning to school with the above poem rooted in my consciousness. While I will be paying off my education for years to come I have somehow managed to divide myself from the fear of accumulating interest and monthly loan payments in the words of the reclusive Dickinson. There truly is no price I would not pay to succesfully navigate beyond the bounds of space and time through the active study of a well-trained mind. For when one meets with those who have attained that state of living in the world one can only say:that is what I want for myself and these are the associations I wish to make and keep. And for me all of this begins and ends with the "chariot that bears a human soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment