Saturday, January 1, 2011

"Ring out the old, ring in the new...Ring out the false, ring in the true."

With the closing of one year, one decade, and the the birth of a new year and new decade I feel as though I have an infinite number of moments, a countless amount of faces, and a fathomless volume of emotions on which I can reflect and self-assess. But I can say that some of the most precious experiences of my life happened in 2010. There is much that could be said about learning the true value of family during times of crisis as well as happiness. I could expound on that as the main theme of every blog for I have seen and learned some very personal truths. I could also chronicle the many opportunities I continually have in witnessing the capacity of the ordinary individual to express a generosity of oceanic proportions. Throughout this new year I am sure to record all of the above and more, but for 2010 I feel as if the most valuable insights, the most treasured moments have come about because of or in relation to one principle: forgiveness.

In a world where imperfection is a natural byproduct of breathing, it is with increasing ease we hold our injuries, offenses, slights, crimes, resentments close to our hearts, refusing to release them as they slowly poison our hearts and minds. There is no doubt in my mind that innocent people are persecuted or harmed by the wickedness of others, but what solace to the soul does anger and hate offer? One thing I have certainly learned from my various experiences with forgiving and being forgiven this year is that the divine byproduct of true forgiveness is peace and a greater capacity to love as well as be loved. The example of this wonderful man continues to remind me that we are never alone in our suffering and that through the miracle of forgiveness we can overcome our own sorrows and perhaps even reach out to those who may have caused them.

No comments:

Post a Comment