Saturday, October 12, 2013

Last night I had this dream and it went something like this....

COME live with me and be my Love,
And we will all the pleasures prove
That hills and valleys, dale and field,
And all the craggy mountains yield.
  
There will we sit upon the rocks         5
And see the shepherds feed their flocks,
By shallow rivers, to whose falls
Melodious birds sing madrigals.
  
There will I make thee beds of roses
And a thousand fragrant posies,  10
A cap of flowers, and a kirtle
Embroider'd all with leaves of myrtle.
  
A gown made of the finest wool
Which from our pretty lambs we pull,
Fair linèd slippers for the cold,  15
With buckles of the purest gold.
  
A belt of straw and ivy buds
With coral clasps and amber studs:
And if these pleasures may thee move,
Come live with me and be my Love.  20
  
Thy silver dishes for thy meat
As precious as the gods do eat,
Shall on an ivory table be
Prepared each day for thee and me.
  
The shepherd swains shall dance and sing  25
For thy delight each May-morning:
If these delights thy mind may move,
Then live with me and be my Love.


There is something  alluring about the imagery provoked by Kit Marlowe in this verdant verse, a bucolic sweetness touching on a deeply felt passion. The gift of poetry lies in its capacity to extract from our innermost chambers  those things which we most long to protect from the eyes of the world. For many years I have believed myself to be too sensible for passion and romance, that a keen mind and fine sense of humor are all that matter, but beautiful poetry has convinced my hard head that I have been hiding that which is most sensitive, protecting it from the mockery of the world because that is so often what the world has offered when I have worn my heart on my sleeve. But the truth I guard so indefatigably  is nothing to be ashamed of, despite what my more practical sarcastic self tries to tell me, I am a romantic.

No comments:

Post a Comment