Monday, November 22, 2010

"...it's all Greek to me...." - Shakespeare


"I cannot rest from travel;

I will drink Life to the lees.

All times I have enjoy'd

Greatly, have suffer'd greatly,

both with those

That loved me, and alone;"


Ulysses by Alfred Tennyson

The photo above represents one of the most amazing exhibits my eyes have been fortunate enough to view: the Elgin Marbles, British Museum,England. I was taken aback by the grandeur and history behind these glorious pieces of ancient greek art and architecture. To imagine the moments in ancient history these relics have been witness to gives me chills even when simply studying their photograph. In studying Homer's Odyssey and remembering my visit to the magnificent British Museum, where the Rosetta Stone also resides,my innate wanderlust creeps up in me and makes me long to travel, to explore the world and its infinite history and diversity, to learn the language and lifestyles of those whose heritage spans back to the dawn of time. I never could understand those who never left their own town let alone their own country. To explore the joys and sorrows of life so universal and yet so individually enacted in every corner of the world seems to me to be the purest way to expand the evolving self into a compassionate and tolerant individual, still firm on one's beliefs yet open to learning and understanding the richness found in the differences of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment