Sunday, November 7, 2010

Let's Get Physical?


Having spent the last week debating the concept of attraction and physical appearance in various conversations, I must admit I feel like a stranger in my own land in regards to the subject. I have been advised and instructed,forcefully placed in the position of defending my views against the charge of being dishonest with myself, and educated on the importance of physical attraction in the development of an intimate relationship with another person.I would never deny that the element of what kind of packaging an item comes in may influence one's level of anticipation of the gift, but what I wonder is what actual significance does that "gorgeous" wrapping have when the gift is opened and loved or hated for what it is; the wrapping quickly discarded with the days rubbish. For my part,I feel that attraction as a term runs far deeper in meaning than the transitory notion of physical appeal.Yes, like any creation there do seem to be people in the world who, when we gaze upon them, seem to be chiseled from some perfect mold. But does that make them attractive? Is that what should draw us to one another? I realize I can only speak for myself, but the "hotness" of someone like Brad Pitt leaves me cold. I feel no attraction to what so many women conceive of as being gorgeous. While I do have my Taye Diggs, I am not now nor would I ever expect to pursue(even if it were situationally possible) a relationship with him or anyone like him based on his physical characteristics viewed from my tv screen...or even from across a room. Making such a claim seems to put me in a room by myself. Because what I would need to see before I would even approach (or in reality run away from)someone based on what they look like is how they smile, how they interact with the people around them,who they talk to, and how they talk about themselves. For me, attraction involves the reflection of the individual soul in their mannerisms, behavior, and yes even physical expressions, not the parts of the physical body we may appreciate. Because in the end, when we decide who is worth our time and effort based on what we see on the outside we won't know until the gift has been opened whether we got a pearl or a skunk cabbage. And who knows what gems we have passed up because their wrapping was not up to our standards. Now, I have heard the argument that there can be no intimacy where there is no physical attraction and I can see that, but I think it is easier to have sparks develop between two pearls where the wrapping may be not quite what we would expect for ourselves than between a pearl and a skunk cabbage with beautiful packaging. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment