Saturday, November 6, 2010

There'll be girls across the nation that will eat this up...

"Women wish to be loved without a why or a wherefore; not because they are pretty, or good, or well-bred, or graceful, or intelligent, but because they are themselves"~Henri-Frederic Amiel

If there is anyone out there who wants to clearly understand what it is that women need from the people in their life it is perfectly reflected in the above quote. It has taken me more than 2 decades to see this through the twin lenses of experience and honest self-evaluation, but looking back on the highs and lows of my life it seems a ridiculously obvious truth. It reminds me of a wonderfully insightful quote by the wicked Oscar Wilde,"Women are made to be loved, not understood." That encapsulates the feelings at the heart of who we are and why we do the mysterious things we do. I don't want to be valued for my nice hair or healthy curves, my ability to sing, or my sharp wit. Because all of the qualities physical, emotional, spiritual, mental that I may exhibit at any one time individually do not define who I am as a whole person. To love someone for one or two of the parts of the whole seems like a volcanic explosion waiting to happen.

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe it's taken me this long to actually click through a few links to get to your blog... I love it!! And this one, especially!! All this time I'm trying so hard to be the person I want to be, noticing that HUGE gap between that and what I am... Trying desperately when I think anyone's actually paying attention, to pull a Copperfield or Blaine illusion... such words of wisdom you have collected expounded on and shared :) For that clarity, once again, I thank you, dear friend!!

    ReplyDelete