Tuesday, October 26, 2010

"She is your mirror,shining back at you with a world of possibilities.She is your witness, who sees you at your worst and best,and loves you anyway...



She is your partner in crime, your midnight companion, someone who knows when you are smiling, even in the dark. She is your teacher, your defense attorney, your personal press agent, even your shrink. Some days, she's the reason you wish you were an only child." ~Barbara Alpert



Whenever I think of the nature of the sister-sister relationship the first thought that surfaces leads to a compulsory singing of the few bars I know of that famous tune from the holiday classic White Christmas:Sisters, sisters, there were never such devoted sisters.... It never fails.

Admittedly, there may have been a period in my life where I felt the pull of desire to be an only child. But the tide of life experience eroded that faulty emotion years ago. Today I have the calming assurance of having been given three women who know where I have come from and will do all within their power to encourage me along the path to where I am going. There are three women who know exactly what I mean when I say: "I am turning into mom" or "Wow, I am just like dad". There are three women who know that despite my grumpy exterior I have the insides of a marshmallow...and forgive me for my infinite shortcomings. There are three women who reflect the best and the worst within myself. There are three women who have shown me how to want more for and make more of myself. Three women who have allowed me to feel God's love reflected through their love and support of me. There couldn't be three women I love more.

1 comment:

  1. When I think of you I never think grumpy. I think intelligent, thoughtful, funny, grateful, sensitive, honest, and lovely. There is no grumpy exterior my dear ... dream on.

    Thank you for your thoughts that renew my gratefulness for my sister, sisters-in-law, mother and women friends who teach me to be better than I am.

    ReplyDelete