Monday, October 25, 2010

"What love we've given, we'll have forever. What love we fail to give, will be lost for all eternity." -Leo Buscaglia

I have been learning something about the refinining nature of love. Though this feels like a recent development to me I can look back on my life and glimpse the many times along my way that God planted seeds of learning in an attempt to yield an oak of understanding. I love this quote by Leo Buscaglia because it touches on the principle I know I will spend my life attempting to fully understand. What good is the love we have in our hearts for the world around us if it goes unplanted, uncultivated and unexpressed? What purpose can it serve to feel a deep love within ourselves for anything or anyone beyond ourselves if we lock it in a safe box and bury it beneath the earth?

I have a friend who insists that it is a sin when a person refrains from sharing their feelings of love to another. I would argue that words are well and good but it is through our openness in actions that we show the intent and feeling of our hearts. The seedling of perception blooms with the unfolding of the notion that love is most profoundly reflected in our sacrifices, small or large, of time, money,comfort,desires,etc...in the pursuit of putting someone else's happiness first. It is when we focus on blessing the lives of others that we are most blessed, and it is in giving our love freely not just in word but in deed that we claim the right to feel that love in return forever.

1 comment: